Tuesday, November 08, 2005

Random Thoughts and Election Handicapping, or Handicapped Elections

Today is the Gubernatorial election in Virginia. Tomorrow the fair-minded residents of Virginia can be assured of one thing regardless of the outcome, they will have a stupid governor. People often say that it is an abrogation of your civic duties, the neclecting of a civic sacrament, when you fail to vote. I generally agree with this line of thought. Though, this election, I am terribly tempted to sit out. Polls have shown the Democratic candidate Tim Kaine holding a modest lead over the Republican candidate Jerry Kilgore (1-4 points). Both are tremendously stupid. Kilgore holds the edge on this one though, he is slimey and stupid. While recent polls give Kaine the edge I suspect Kilgore will win out, Virginia is a red-state (though it is more purple than red) and the Republican ground game is stronger throughout the State than the Democrats'.

There is an independent (a republican) running, Potts is his name, I can't be bothered to remember his full name. However, he has made a grievous political error. He fancies the notion that it is important to articulate a plan on how to actually pay for your campaign promises. Thus, as a Republican, he hasn't made many, further, he has promised to, gasp, cut some programs to offset some of his proposed spending. He has been blunt about this fiscal fact but obviously to his disadvantage. He will get my vote for his audacity. But nonetheless, tomorrow I will have a an idiot for governor. Frankly, this is unfortunate. Virginia is a well run state, perhaps the best run in the union. Our current Governor Mark Warner is being considered amongst Democratic power players as an alternative to Hillary, Note to Liberal PePers, you could do a whole lot worse than this guy. The US could do a whole lot worse than Mark Warner.

Windfall profits: It seems like drugs and gas inspire absolute economic idiocy and ignorance from both sides of the aisle. I have a question, Senators are proposing that we tax these "windfall profits" from the oil companies, what if the price of gas goes down to $20 a barrel, do we give them a rebate? What about when it was $20 a barrel, should we offer a rebate retroactively? Some people are making a killing on their houses, maybe we should tax their profits after a certain point. If your house has appreciated thrice above inflation we could claw back the difference between the actual price of the house sale and the price of the house when purchased adjusted for inflation times years of occupancy.

New Jersey is another state that has two awful choices for Governor. New Jersey is a cess pool for politics. Sen. Corzine and Doug Forrester are running surprisingly close given that New Jersey is such a blue state. Recently Forrester put up attack ads featuring Corzine's ex wife warning voters that Corzine failed his family and will fail the state. I appreciate this ad, although it is vile and underhanded, at least Forrester was willing to attach his name to it. If he wants to conduct himself like utter trash, let him, and let the voters decide if they want such trash in their statehouse. Corzine is no gem either, he recently floated the head of one of the service unions a no interest loan of a half mill, and surprisingly he got the endorsement. We call that a bribe, but, whatever. Oh, he is also sleeping with this same person which has gotten him in some trouble too. My handicapping on this race, Corzine wins 52-47.

My proposal to the Ken Mehlman and Howard Dean: guys, you know it is hard to be a politician and to keep it in your pants. Let's recognize this, this is the one thing that is truly bipartisan. Let's reach across the aisle and set up an endowment if you will. This endowment will be funded through mandatory contributions of statewide and nationwide elected officials in each respective party. The raised funds will be used to keep some high class call girls (or he-whores) on retainer. No more embarassing leaks about infidelity or wild rompous sex parties or forays on a boat named risky business. No allegations about womanizing, etc. This can be a progressive thing too, there can be transgender stuff going on to appease some of the real lefties. Whatever, but we gotta get in front of this.

Last and in this case least, there is the the Governator. The Govenator has submitted four propositions: budget reform, paycheck protection, redistricting reform, and educational reform. Maybe pension reform is in there somewhere. Hell if I care. Apparently, taking on every single special interest group with political clout (from nurses to teachers to firemen to elected politicians themeselves) at the same time appears to be a failing strategy. Surprise.

11 comments:

Mandingo said...

X, you strike me as the guy who loves to talk and write about politics but may or may not be lazy enough to go out and vote. Your line, "Though, this election, I am terribly tempted to sit out" is more than telling. Am I right on this one?

Anonymous said...

Nice catch Mandingo...So what is X?

xtrachromosomeconservative said...

I have voted dutifully in every election since I came of age to do so. Which is like three. No, I do belive there is significant responsibility and value attached to the act of voting. This time I am a little less enthused than usual.

Mandingo said...

Anonymous, I'm not sure what you're talking about. By X, I mean Xtra. Although my comment about laziness would apply to everyone on the blogroll...particularly Xtra, and Ilya.

xtrachromosomeconservative said...

Mandingo, how dare you take me to task on my adherence to my civic duties. As we speak I am returning from my polling place and have cast my ballot.

Mandingo said...

Nice, Xtra. I compliment you on your performance. That still leaves Ilya, AFF, Anti-and Pied unaccounted for. I fear for Ilya. It takes a considerable amount of energy to leave an apartment building and walk half a block to the polling place. He consumes and uses fewer calories than anyone I know. Almost as if he runs on a trolling motor or something.

xtrachromosomeconservative said...

And Mandingo, if you had read on past the first paragraph you would have noticed this passage which was a positive predictor of my voting behavior "Thus, as a Republican, he hasn't made many, further, he has promised to, gasp, cut some programs to offset some of his proposed spending. He has been blunt about this fiscal fact but obviously to his disadvantage. He will get my vote for his audacity."

Ilya said...

I shouldn't even lend any dignity to this discussion, but I will have you know that I was the 51st person to vote in my place. And I got a free coffee for wearing my sticker to the Birchwood Cafe, where I consumed about 1/3 of my calories for the day.

xtrachromosomeconservative said...

Frankly, I am dissapointed that nobody has picked up the call girl thread. I think this is a real triumph in wonkery.

xtrachromosomeconservative said...

The VA Governors race has been called, Kaine (D) won 50-47. Not too surprising, both candidates sucked, but ultimately the fair minded residents of the commonwealth of Virginia decided Kaine sucked less.

archduke f. f. said...

I didn't vote because I don't feel that I should be able to(and, of course, the Freaks would laugh at me) affect the election results, since I don't have a personal interest in Minneapolis's governance. I've only lived down here for a month, and I may be moving to another city within a few weeks, so it's not really fair that I get to stuff the ballots with my crazy election choices. Although I have demonstrated that I know more about the various minor races than most citizens of our fair city.