Saturday, November 05, 2005

The Library Board: Great for you, so long as you don't work at or go to a library.

I suppose the title is a little misleading. The problem, according to this article in One Nation News, is that the Library board has been responsible for operating budget cuts this year that reduced hours by 35 percent and cut 25 percent of the staff. Of course, it was not purely out of sadism on the library board's part that such things happened, but because the state cut funding by 3 million dollars. Couple that with the library's 160 million dollar upgrade and we've got some major problems in budgetary matters.

As we learned yesterday, the budget is initially doled out by the Board of Estimate and Taxation, and that the Library Board must figure out its operating budget for the year based on the BOET's budget. Because of a shortfall from expected state monies, the Board had to engage in massive cuts. This shortfall also brought about a great desire in the common Minneapolitan to run for library board in order to show everyone on the block that he/she can screw things up just as much as the next person.

Since I've lost this post twice now, I'm not going to do a rundown of the candidates. I'll just direct you to the Strib's site, which gives a pretty good idea of what's going down. Please don't vote for Laurie Savran, because according to her essay she is apparently a 14 year old.

Quick update: I didn't notice, but in her background she notes that she is a poet. So please forgive my 14 year old comment, since she was just showing a representation of her craft. I think, next time I'm asked my background, I'll say I'm a pundit.

1 comment:

Cal said...

Who is Archduke F. F. I want to meet herhim