Tuesday, November 08, 2005

Vote or...live?

I just returned from the West 7th Street Rec Center where I dutifully cast my ballot. According to the VoteTrackerMax 3000 that ate my ballot, I was the 424th such voter in my ward. After chatting up the election officials, I was told that the Rec Center had received a fairly steady stream of voters throughout the day. (When I voted in the primary, around the same time of day, I was only the 162nd.) Overall, the turnout has been steady in both St. Paul and Minneapolis, but its only expected to reach 25 percent.

Coleman and Kelly were still out pressing the flesh today (not to mention lawn sign bearers on just about every intersection with a stoplight), but it appears to be all for naught. The latest Minnesota Poll has Coleman opening his margin even wider, 66-22 percent.

The sad thing about all this is that the St. Paul mayoral campaign was reported to be the most expensive city election in Minnesota history. Part of the reason for that is because of Kelly's endorsement of Bush in the 2004 election, and some (who may be a little cracked) are saying Coleman's wide margin of victory reflects more on extreme dissatisfaction with Bush, rather than extreme dissatisfaction of Kelly. In fact, the City Hall Scoop is reporting the race for St. Paul City Hall is getting some national attention from WashPo, Fox News, and National Public Radio. Something tells me that's a bit of a stretch, but oh well.

Oh, and be prepared. Tomorrow...temperatures will be falling throughout the day.

7 comments:

Mandingo said...

I love a good forecast. It's winter time, baby!

xtrachromosomeconservative said...

Andy, the abbreviated form of the Washington Post is not WashPo but rather WaPo. As the administrator I would expect you to be upholding such blog policies.

PiedPiper said...

Duly noted.

Anonymous said...

Well I managed to get out and vote too, despite St. Paul voting judges' best efforts to curtail me. Seriously, talk about hiding the vote, they practically made me jump through a flaming hoop to fill in those little bubbles, but I did it anyway, towing the line like an obedient little PeP helper monkey. This better be the best #$*@ing school board ever.

PiedPiper said...

BTW, Mandingo. Apparently, Hurricane Bearded Matriach has been downgraded to a tropical storm, and it's doubling back to slam Minnesota tomorrow. Paul Douglas sez: Sustained winds of 39 mph tomorrow! Hold on to your fedoras, folks!

Joe Lencioni said...

I voted yesterday at about 6:00 pm in St. Peter and was marked at about number 826 or so.

PiedPiper said...

Hey-How's the weather down there in St. Peter?