Friday, June 12, 2009

The Day the TV Died

For me that day is today. I will admit that I'm one of those millions not fully prepared for the switch to digital television. I have a digital-to-analog converter box, but it doesn't work with my antenna.

Now that my TV has died, I no longer have a refuge from reality. It's just me face-to-face with reality. Which isn't a new experience, as I didn't have a television for about the first six months after my move to Chicago.

I'd like to think that this is a moment when more people will wonder what it would be like not simply to live without TV, but to live in a society without television. To quote Don DeLillo from White Noise, "Television is the death throes of human consciousness."

1 comment:

Cuindless said...

Interestingly enough, my wife and I have been living without TV for about 8 years now. Every once in a while we'll go on vacation to a hotel and watch TV for a few hours or so and realize what we aren't missing. TV is an unnecessary diversion. Reading is much better for the mind and the concentration.