Wednesday, November 14, 2007

The War on Christmas

I think the whole thing is without any basis. I could care less if department stores put up kwanzaa trees (fake holiday created by a FBI snitch by the way) or opts to say Happy Holidays instead of Merry Christmas. What I find patently absurd is this business of putting up Christmas decorations so damn early. The mall by my work had a massive tree up the first week of November. When I was a kid (some would argue I still qualify as such) trees and decorations didn't go up till the first day of advent (after Thanksgiving). It just makes the holiday that much more crass. If I have to hear John Gibson or Bill O'Reilly harrumphing about the secular Nazis among us trying to subvert Christians in their celebrations of Christmas, ostensibly by using the wrong greeting, I will vomit. If those mental pygmies would like to do some good they would be well advised to go to their local macy's and browbeat them into taking down their decorations and not replacing them till advent. Curmudgeonly rant over!

4 comments:

archduke f. f. said...

I share your sentiments about Christmas decorations going up early--I know for a fact that Christmas ornaments were out at Target on October 29th. Shouldn't we at least wait until after Halloween? What the hell?

I'm a little annoyed by the Kwanzaa derision in your post, though. Yes, Kwanzaa is a made up holiday. ALL holidays are made up holidays. Was Christmas a holiday on Dec. 25, 0001? No, Christmas wasn't even celebrated until Christianity tried to smother the Solstice festival and show that it was now the Big Religion on Campus.

I used to feel differently about Kwanzaa. Up until last year, I had never actually participated in a Kwanzaa celebration. But, last year my wife's boss invited her and I over for a Kwanzaa celebration and it was fantastic. The whole idea of Kwanzaa is about bringing together the black community (although the ratio of black: white at this party was 2:4, oddly enough). It's about trying to instill in the next generation a respect for hard work, scholarly achievement, and family. Sure, it's a made up holiday, but it's also an important celebration that counters a lot of negative influences on the black community.

xtrachromosomeconservative said...

I get your point. And it is perfectly valid. Kwanzaa's fraudulence is not unique. I still have a distaste for it, though. I find the premise divisive (as it is effectively race based as opposed to creed based). It was founded by FBI snitch who was the founder of a group that was played by the feds so they would go around killing black panthers. But truth be told, I have never partaken in a Kwanzaa celebration and I am sure there is much good in it that I just haven't experienced.

xtrachromosomeconservative said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
xtrachromosomeconservative said...

BTW, when are we going to see a post from you?