Wednesday, May 11, 2005

Huffin' and puffin'

Well, now that Arianna Huffington has decided to make her official foray into the blogosphere, I've come to the conclusion that I may as well also. Seriously, though... Like I was telling JO, Who the hell cares what Julia Louis-Dreyfuss thinks of gay marriage? What can David Mamet possibly offer to push the national political discourse forward? I throw up my hands.

Why are there so many liberals who give liberals a bad name? Progressive politics, when articulated calmly with simple facts and morals backing it up, makes sense. Progressive politics, when blathered about by Whoopi Goldberg and bandied between Janeane Garfolo and Martin Sheen, somehow loses its luster. It's not that I hate celebrities, or even think that they should stay out of politics. They have as much a right to get involved as anyone else. I just don't understand why they have to be so annoying about it, and in the process, torpedo any efforts by "normal" liberals to do actually accomplish something, much less win an argument with some Neanderthal conservative.

No comments: