Friday, June 04, 2010

PeP Endorsement

I am endorsing Blogger cum Senate candidate Mickey Kaus (D-CA) to be California's next Senator. Given my previously established influence over the interwebs, I firmly believe that this endorsement will have an earth shattering impact (Kaus thinks that he will get about 3% of the vote, my endorsement should probably swing another 1%).

My rationale for endorsing Mickey Kaus is principally self-serving (somebody needs to set the precedent of a blogger becoming a big time politician so that it's not perceived as crazy when I jump straight to the white house without holding major office) but there are also more substantive reasons. One, I think it is important for someone who will not be immediately perceived as a bigot (thus, not a republican) to advance a sensible enforcement first-legalization later immigration policy. Aside from being better policy I think this would have a salutary impact on the immigration debate. Two, Kaus while liberal, would promote heterodoxy in general. Once other politicians saw how reporters had a lip lock on his ass for going against the grain on major issues other politicians and candidates will have an incentive at the margin to act out of envy and see personal gain in telling their leadership to go to hell. Again, I think this too would have a beneficial impact on policy debates and ultimately on policy outcomes. So with that said, I endorse Mickey Kaus for Senator.

No comments: