Thursday, October 23, 2008

Car Thoughts

I have a VW Rabbit and very much enjoy it.  However, there are two things about the car that drive me insane.  One, it has no MP3 input.  You can get one of those FM receiver things but they suck.  To get a dealer installed MP3 input would cost $500.  This is absurd to me.  The Rabbit/Golf is an economy car and its market is presumably younger folks who typically have an iPod or some other MP3 player.  In fact what’s the likelihood at this point that they have an iPod but no longer buy CDs.  That certainly describes me but I have a car that has a 6-cd changer.  Even now, in its third year, the MP3 input is optional.


The other thing that annoys me is that it is a hatchback but doesn’t have any hooks to tie down the back.  Yet again, your market is 20 somethings, most of whom are vagabonds making trips to ikea and target or pilfering their relatives for furniture.  Some sort of a tie down would give the car more crap hauling functionality.  You put in the iPod input and the tie down hooks and you are looking at maybe $50 in material costs and you have a more functional car, one that better serves its intended market.

No comments: