Thursday, April 17, 2008

The University of St. Thomas...Really Good At Making Stupid Decisions, Final Round

Some of you might remember my series of rants back in October about the asinine decision that was made by UST administrators to not allow Archbishop Desmond Tutu to speak at a Peace Jam event scheduled to be held at UST and subsequent demotion of a department head because of the controversy.

Well the speech that was too controversial to be heard at UST was rescheduled and held at Minneapolis North High School instead. Tutu spent most of his speech praising the young people in attendance for being the ones who are going to change the world and discussed God’s dream for humanity and how he is excited for these young people to assist God in realizing that dream. He went on to say:

“God says ‘I have a dream that one day all of my children will know that they belong in one family. I have a dream that my children one day will know war no more. I have a dream that children everywhere will have clean water to drink, will have enough food to eat, will have a decent home. I have a dream, please help me to realize my dream’.”
I now understand why the University of St. Thomas would not want such controversial topics to be discussed on their campus, for a university who claims their mission is to educate “students to be morally responsible leaders who think critically, act wisely and work skillfully to advance the common good” this type of hateful speech should have no place on campus.

No comments: