Saturday, November 03, 2007

I’m Not Quite Lost Yet

Thank you for your concern Xtra, you will be glad to know that I am still around. I did however very recently spend four days in the lovely state of North Carolina. Here are a few observations that I found to be interesting.
  • Driving in North Carolina is TERRIBLE. No one seems to understand what the little thing on the left side of your steering wheel is for and thus no one signals their turns. I don’t know if I can count how many times I was stuck behind someone at a stoplight or stop sign thinking there was something in front of them that was impeding their ability to go straight…frustrating to say the least.
  • Nothing and I mean nothing in North Carolina moves quickly. People walk slow, people talk slow, people drive slow, basically if something can be done slowly in North Carolina it is. I was in a Subway getting a late dinner at 9:30 pm on a Thursday, the only two people in the place were me and the guy behind the counter, yet it still took the guy about 5 minutes to make my one six inch sandwich.
  • I am not to sure if this next observation is indicative of the entire state or just the area I was in, but in Durham, NC I am pretty sure that the panhandlers are required to register with the city. While driving down the street in Durham I noticed that all of the guys standing on the corners with signs asking for money were wearing neon construction vests with picture ID cards on the front of them. This just struck me as odd.
So there you go some random observations from my trip well below the Mason-Dixon Line.

1 comment:

xtrachromosomeconservative said...

That's interesting to me because I always thought the cities moved at a glacial pace. But, yeah, that is part of the South.