Thursday, September 20, 2007

Maryland, Erg

So I just moved to Takoma Park, MD from Arlington, VA. They are about 10 miles about and similar from a socioeconomic standpoint. What I don't understand is how my auto insurance premium jumped from $330 per six months to $850. I have always maintained that Montgomery County drivers are worse than those of Northern Virginia but not nearly three times worse. In fact, everybody in the DC metropolitan area is a bad driver. My neighborhood is not bad, no worse than my previous neighborhood in Arlington in terms of safety. Evidence of this is the fact that my renters insurance only increased by 10% from the move. My guess is that Maryland prohibits insurers from assessing risk by using credit scores but that is just a shot in the dark. Anybody else have any guesses.

No comments: