Monday, February 27, 2006

Tenure?

How is it that academic tenure still exists? The competition for a professorship, particularly within the humanities (or really any field where there is no private sector alternative) is intense. I may be mistaken but I have routinely heard that for each professorship, depending on the field, there may be several hundred applicants. To me this indicates that academics are overpaid (I know, most aren't paid squat) and that there should be a greater personnel churn.

1 comment:

Ilya said...

The logic of tenure is so obvious and reasonable, that it's not worth it to further respond to such a question as "Why Tenure?" But for those who want ammunition to throw against tenure-seeking academics, then I'll give you a head start: http://chronicle.com/data/articles.dir/articles-39.dir/issue-04.dir/04b00101.htm