Sunday, December 11, 2005

By "Body Farm," I of course mean "Stench Village--with Corpses"

According to the Strib, and Iowa professor wants to use three acres of prime Iowa farmland for forensic anthropology research. He wants to see how bodies decompose in diverse conditions, in "a car, a trunk, or in the front seat[.] Underground, aboveground, and in the water[.]"

He's written grant proposals and is hoping the federal government will give him some cash. The locals, of course, are not ecstatic.

Money quote 1: "Wow. ... I'm shocked," [the County Board Chairman] said. "We're a conservative kind of county, with conservative values, morals. I don't know how that would play out here."

Money quote 2: "Right now, the only smells we got there is hogs and cattle. And now you're talking about human parts. I don't know."

I'm not sure what conservatism has to do with learning how the body decomposes, but I am sure that hogs and cattle do not smell good.

No comments: