Friday, January 04, 2008

Thoughts On The Iowa Caucuses

I have to give credit where credit is due. In my post a couple of days ago I underestimated Iowa Democrats and was pleasantly surprised by the Democratic caucus results last night. I guess I should have never doubted our friends to the south. I mean, aside from the fact that they don’t know the first thing about hockey, all of the Iowans I know are very smart and pleasant people.

With that said I couldn’t be happier with Hillary Clinton’s third place finish, and it is rather amazing/historic that a state which is 95% white voted for a black man to be America’s next president.

The results also help to solidify my (and I guess Xtra’s) hypothesis that the Republican base is demoralized and unengaged in this election, which means that Democrats in no way have to settle for a sub-par candidate like Hillary Clinton. Just look at the caucus turnout 239,000 people came out for the Democratic caucuses, an increase of 93% over 2004, and only 115,000 people came out for the Republican caucuses.

I guess Democrats do not want to lose the 2008 presidential election, but then again we will see what happens in New Hampshire on Tuesday.

No comments: