Friday, July 14, 2006

Phraseology: "Hotter than a witche's titty"

--in response to Ilya's question in the "comments" section of a previous post

My use of the construction "a witche's titty" is well-documented. It is now more legendary than Paul Bunyan & Pecos Bill. However, my usage of the phrase probably jumped the shark sometime back in high school. It no longer flies, the rickety old sonafobitch! With little value (say, a nickel or maybe a dime, in the currency of my humor) one would think that it would be tossed to the curb with a cardboard sign saying "Free. Please Take. God Bless!"

I use it still, at inappropriate times, as a solid standby. If nothing else, it generates a modest chuckle of sympathy from half, while the other more enlightened half stares bewildered as if to say, "is this guy really serious?" True, I use "it's colder than a witche's titty" more often, but I like to randomly mix up the sayings to see what happens. For example, "it's colder than a whisky dick outside." or "that door's locked up tighter than a coal digger's ass." You know. Just to be different, I guess.

No comments: