Thursday, June 08, 2006

Phraseology: "A bias for action"

--Tony Snow during 06/07 morning press conference on the death of Al-Qaeda terrorist Abu Musab Al Zarqawi

Thursday morning, while choking on a banana, I listened to the White House press conference that announced to a waiting world the death of Abu Musab Al Zarqawi (tough name to type, by the way). At one point, Snow used the phrase "A bias for action" to describe the tenor of the current Iraqi regime. It's stuck with me the whole day.

Hopefully, if I remember, I'll make "Phraseology" an every Friday-thing where I recall an interesting phrase or word I came across throughout the week.

5 comments:

Ilya said...

Great idea for a recurrent section. But what does the phrase "a bias for action" mean? Action as opposed to what?

Mandingo said...

Recurrent...bah. Nothing such exists. However, "a bias for action" means something like the: Somebody asked Snow about the operative manner of the new Iraqi governmental regime. Snow said they had a "bias for action" meaning that they wouldn't sit on their hands and watch Iraq fall apart. (with our help, no less). Beside that, that's what he meant.
Yo, fool, why you always assin' out? you hot?

Ilya said...

I gathered that action (duh) does not mean "sit on their hands." But what's the basis for their bias for action?

Ilya said...

Correction: Snow used the phrase to say that the new Prime Minister is more than a mere figure-head to the Iraqi Government. The phrase does not convey much more than that. In fact, it now seems to me to be a particularly bad, pie-eyed phrase.

Mandingo said...

Ilya, I'm not sure if a "correction" is needed. If in fact, you're either questioning the veracity of my post or the way in which I presented the phrase. I merely mentioned that Tony Snow used "a bias for action" to describe the Iraqi prime minister and the relatively new Iraqi regime. Nothing more than that.