Thursday, May 04, 2006

St. Thomas has Marital Problems


Just got off the horn with Pied and he claims that St. Thomas didn't exactly get slimed by the City Pages in their article, "Cross Purposes" (actually well written) but the school, our alma mater, didn't get off scott free either. I won't get into the nuts and bolts of the debate, but broadly it concerns the tension between Catholic doctrine (dogma, I contend) and the more liberal inertia of contemporary morality. Pied will defend, to a bloody death, St. Thomas' headlong rush to become a nationally prominent university, and the Law School has helped, in large part, with this march. However, until this mothballed institution of higher learning at least steps into the 21st century 20th century it will remain shuttered, backward, and dare I say...romantically conservative. Check out the Law School blog, Mirror of Justice, "Dedicated to the development of Catholic legal theory" as just one example--you'll see what I mean. I would raise umbrage with most of their postings, but I'm too stupid to formulate any cogent rebuttals.

3 comments:

xtrachromosomeconservative said...

Frankly, and my knowledge of St. Thomas is quite superficial, but it seems their strategy on becoming more than a regional player is sound. They are trying to occupy a niche, from conversations with piedpiper, this sounds like its especially pronounced in their law school. George Mason has marketed itself as the libertarian school, at least as far as its Econ and law school.

Mandingo said...

Xtra,
I'm not saying anything against the University's attempts at expansion. If done well, and I'm not entirely convinced yet, then of course it's a good thing. I just can't get over the fact that the leaders of the University can't seem to pull their heads out of their buttholes. Sometimes it's aggravating.

xtrachromosomeconservative said...

Having your head up your ass typically is an impediment to exploiting market inefficiencies.